Kendall's Story


   

     Hi, my name is Kendall and I am a 21-year-old junior studying Social Work at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am one of many other women who have been diagnosed with PCOS. I was ‘officially’ diagnosed during my sophomore year of high school. My cycles were never normal. I would skip a cycle for a month or two and then suddenly get one again on schedule.

 I was given an ultrasound where they noticed a few small cysts on my ovaries. Nothing on the ultrasound was too terribly concerning to the doctor. From there I got set up with an endocrinologist. The first time I went I had bloodwork done. On top of my PCOS, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. During my first endocrinologist visit, I was prescribed a couple of medications. Metformin and Spironolactone for my PCOS and Levothyroxine for my Hypothyroidism. I also regularly take Vitamin D and birth control to regulate my periods. My ‘conditions’ are very well managed by my slew of doctors. When it comes to PCOS, one of the unwanted symptoms is extra hair growth. I get it predominantly on my upper lip, chin, and neck. The medication Spironolactone slows that hair growth. I am very thankful for that. 

I was a little surprised to hear just how common this condition is in women. It affects one and ten* women. Unfortunately, PCOS is a very difficult condition to diagnose. There is no for sure tell-tale ‘thing’ that dictates PCOS. There are many different symptoms that can direct a doctor in the direction of being able to diagnose their patient with it. 

After being put on these different medications I started dealing with some self-esteem issues. It has been a battle for me. I have always been the ‘fuller’ girl in the room. I hated myself and my body. I would dress myself in clothes to hide my body. I started going to therapy. I began to develop a healthy relationship with food and my body. Now I dress in more form-fitting clothes. Clothes that flatter my body and not hide it. I am able to appreciate my body and all the different things it does for me. I am all around happier and enjoying life more than I ever have. I am in a happy and committed relationship with a wonderful man who continues to help my self-esteem blossom each and every day. While PCOS can cause some difficulties, I refuse to let it weigh me down on my day to day. 







 *Please note that there is constant research and even though in the past the number was 1 in 10, after new research the number has jumped to 1 in 5.


Comments

  1. Thank you, Kendall, for sharing your story. You are beautiful and brave, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Destiny's Story